B. A.Sc. [Mechanical Engineering] (University of Waterloo), M.A.Sc. [Mechanical Engineering] (University of British Columbia), Ph.D. [Mechanical Engineering] (University of California, Berkeley), Post-Doctoral Fellowship (University of California, San Francisco)
Associate Professor, Mechatronics System Engineering, School of Engineering Science, Simon Fraser University
Research InterestsBiomaterials; Biomechanics; cost effective health care technologies; finite element methods; Injury prevention; Modeling; patient specific technologies; spinal cord injury mechanics
Dr. Sparrey’s research focus is on biomechanics and biomaterials. She studies the mechanical characterization of neurological tissues. She also works on modeling and simulating injuries and diseases, including accident reconstruction. Dr. Sparrey also designs and evaluates injury prevention devices.
Dr. Sparrey is a Principal Investigator at ICORD and an Associate Professor in the School of Engineering Science at Simon Fraser University. She obtained her B.A.Sc. from the University of Waterloo and her M.A.Sc. from the University of British Columbia. Dr. Sparrey completed her Ph.D. in mechanical engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, and a Post-Doctoral Fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco.
Current Lab Members
|Masters Students||Ph.D. Students||Postdoctoral fellows|
|Garrett Kryt*||Ehsan Daneshi Kohan||Dr. Victoria Spartacus|
|Evan MacDonald*||Mae Shojaei||Dr. Shervin Jannesar|
|Dr. Numaira Obaid|
|2020||Numaira Obaid||ICORD Postdoctoral Poster Award|
|2015||Parry Singh Mudhar||Student Poster Award (ICORD Annual General Meeting)|
|2014||Ehsan Kohan||Student Poster Finalist (Society for Neurotrauma)|
Current Opportunities in the Lab
Please contact Dr. Sparrey with inquiries.
Dr. Carolyn Sparrey gives a quick explanation of her research.
- Wong, RN et al.. 2021. Exploring exercise participation and the usability of the adaptive rower and arm crank ergometer through wheelchair users' perspectives.. Disabil Rehabil. doi: 10.1080/09638288.2021.1894245.
- Merry, KJ et al.. 2021. Classifying sitting, standing, and walking using plantar force data.. Med Biol Eng Comput. doi: 10.1007/s11517-020-02297-4.
- Jannesar, S, Salegio, EA, Beattie, MS, Bresnahan, JC, Sparrey, CJ. 2021. Correlating Tissue Mechanics and Spinal Cord Injury: Patient-Specific Finite Element Models of Unilateral Cervical Contusion Spinal Cord Injury in Non-Human Primates.. J Neurotrauma. doi: 10.1089/neu.2019.6840.
- Bailey, JF et al.. 2020. The Effect of Parity on Age-Related Degenerative Changes in Sagittal Balance.. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). doi: 10.1097/BRS.0000000000003234.
- Thomas, L, Borisoff, J, Sparrey, CJ. 2018. Manual wheelchair downhill stability: an analysis of factors affecting tip probability.. J Neuroeng Rehabil. doi: 10.1186/s12984-018-0450-3.