B. A.Sc. [Mechanical Engineering] (University of Waterloo), M.A.Sc. [Mechanical Engineering] (University of British Columbia), Ph.D. [Mechanical Engineering] (University of California, Berkeley), Post-Doctoral Fellowship (University of California, San Francisco)
Assistant Professor, Mechatronics System Engineering, School of Engineering Science, Simon Fraser University
Research InterestsBiomaterials; Biomechanics; cost effective health care technologies; finite element methods; Injury prevention; Modeling; patient specific technologies; spinal cord injury mechanics
Dr. Sparrey’s research focus is on biomechanics and biomaterials. She studies the mechanical characterization of neurological tissues. She also works on modeling and simulating injuries and diseases, including accident reconstruction. Dr. Sparrey also designs and evaluates injury prevention devices.
Dr. Sparrey is a Principal Investigator at ICORD and an Assistant Professor in the School of Engineering Science at Simon Fraser University. She obtained her B.A.Sc. from the University of Waterloo and her M.A.Sc. from the University of British Columbia. Dr. Sparrey completed her Ph.D. in mechanical engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, and a Post-Doctoral Fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco.
Current Lab Members
|Masters Students||Ph.D. Students||Postdoctoral fellows|
|Matthew Courtemanche*||Ehsan Daneshi Kohan||Dr. Tim Bhatnagar*|
|Louise Thomas||Shervin Jannesar|
*has graduated in the past year
|2015||Parry Singh Mudhar||Student Poster Award (ICORD Annual General Meeting)|
|2014||Ehsan Kohan||Student Poster Finalist (Society for Neurotrauma)|
Current Opportunities in the Lab
Please contact Dr. Sparrey with inquiries.
Dr. Carolyn Sparrey gives a quick explanation of her research.
- Thomas, L, Borisoff, J, Sparrey, CJ. 2017. Quantifying the effects of on-the-fly changes of seating configuration on the stability of a manual wheelchair.. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2017.8037218.
- Daneshi Kohan, E, Lashkari, BS, Sparrey, CJ. 2017. The effects of paranodal myelin damage on action potential depend on axonal structure.. Med Biol Eng Comput. doi: 10.1007/s11517-017-1691-1.
- Fortin, M et al.. 2017. Association Between Paraspinal Muscle Morphology, Clinical Symptoms, and Functional Status in Patients With Degenerative Cervical Myelopathy.. Spine. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0000000000001704.
- Katona, DN, Bennett, CR, McKoryk, M, Brisson, AL, Sparrey, CJ. 2017. Effects of weld damage on the dynamics of energy-absorbing lanyards.. Int J Occup Saf Ergon. doi: 10.1080/10803548.2017.1282236.
- Jannesar, S, Nadler, B, Sparrey, CJ. 2016. The Transverse Isotropy of Spinal Cord White Matter Under Dynamic Load.. J Biomech Eng. doi: 10.1115/1.4034171.