B.Sc. (Mashad University), M.Sc. (Shaheed Beheshti University), Ph.D (Shaheed Beheshti University), Postdoctoral Fellowship (Kyorin University School of Medicine)
Professor Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Research InterestsAxons; Myelin; Neurodegeneration; Neurophysiology; Neuroprotection; Regeneration
Dr. Javan is interested in myelin protection, myelin repair, and neurodegeneration following nerve diseases and traumatic neural injuries. Gliosis, or heightened activity of the cells that form myelin, called glia, is a frequent result of spinal cord injury and traumatic head injury, and it impedes neural repair. Dr. Javan’s research involves converting astrocytes and other glial cells located in the injured brain and spinal cord into neurons and OPCs, cells that can become oligodendrocytes. These, in turn, provide insulation to axons, which conduct electrical impulses from nerves. Dr. Javan uses transcription factors and microRNAs to generate neurons and OPCs in order to help repair damaged neural tissue.
Dr. Javan is collaborating with Dr. Wolfram Tetzlaff on a research project examining the mechanisms of demyelination-induced axon damage and the possible benefits of antioxidants in this context.
Techniques employed in the lab:
- Cell fate conversion studies
- In vivo gene delivery
- Chemical demyelination models
Affiliation with organizations and societies:
- International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)
- International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR)
- Council Member, Iranian Society of Physiology and Pharmacology
- Iranian Cell Death Society
- Iranian Neuroscience Society
- Royan Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Technology
Current Opportunities in the Lab
Please contact Dr. Javan with inquiries.
- Zare, L, Baharvand, H, Javan, M. 2018. In vivo conversion of astrocytes to oligodendrocyte lineage cells using chemicals: targeting gliosis for myelin repair.. Regen Med. doi: 10.2217/rme-2017-0155.
- Mokhtarzadeh Khanghahi, A, Satarian, L, Deng, W, Baharvand, H, Javan, M. 2018. In vivo conversion of astrocytes into oligodendrocyte lineage cells with transcription factor Sox10; Promise for myelin repair in multiple sclerosis.. PLoS ONE. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0203785.
- Fathi, A et al.. 2018. Discovery of Novel Cell Surface Markers for Purification of Embryonic Dopamine Progenitors for Transplantation in Parkinson's Disease Animal Models.. Mol. Cell Proteomics. doi: 10.1074/mcp.RA118.000809.
- Ilka, F, Javan, M, Raoufy, MR. 2018. Variable ventilation decreases airway responsiveness and improves ventilation efficiency in a rat model of asthma.. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. doi: 10.1016/j.resp.2018.05.007.
- Emami Aleagha, MS, Harirchian, MH, Lavasani, S, Javan, M, Allameh, A. 2018. Differential Expression of Klotho in the Brain and Spinal Cord is Associated with Total Antioxidant Capacity in Mice with Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis.. J. Mol. Neurosci. doi: 10.1007/s12031-018-1058-6.