You are invited to take part in a study that aims to evaluate online training modules on the best practices for spinal cord injury (SCI) physical activity counselling. The results will be used to further improve the training and will inform the implementation of the training in various settings.
The study involves:
- Online surveys at three moments
- Completing an online, self-guided, training on SCI physical activity counselling
- Short interview about your learning experiences
To sign up for the study and receive the survey link, please send an email with the subject “SCI Exercise Counselling Study” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why should you participate in this study?
By participating in this study, you will be provided with online, self-guided training modules on the new best practices for SCI physical activity counselling. By completing these training modules, you may improve your knowledge and confidence related to providing physical activity counselling to adults with SCI.
Your participation in this study will help us to further improve these SCI physical activity counselling training modules and inform the implementation of the training modules. By participating in this study, you can contribute to improving physical activity counselling services for adults with SCI.
You may be eligible to participate in this study if you:
- work or volunteer as an exercise/lifestyle counsellor, SCI peer mentor, occupational therapist, therapeutic recreation professional (e.g., recreation therapist/specialist), physiotherapist, psychomotor therapist, social worker, kinesiologist, rehabilitation assistant, SCI caregiver, fitness trainer or coach; AND
- work or volunteer in Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, United States of America, Australia, or New Zealand; AND
- are planning to provide professional guidance or counselling to one or more clients in the next 12 months on starting and/or maintaining a physically active lifestyle. This can include guidance or support as part of the SCI peer mentorship program; AND
- are over the age of 18; AND
- can read and understand English.
You may be ineligible to participate in this study if you:
- provided feedback on a previous version of the SCI physical activity counselling training modules
Completing the surveys will take ~15-20 minutes each. Scheduling the interview session will take ~10 minutes. The interview session will take ~20-30 minutes. Completing the training modules will take ~2.5 hours. If you are allocated to the intervention group the total time commitment will be 4 hours and 10 minutes. If you are allocated to the control group your total time commitment will be 4 hours and 20 minutes (same time commitment as the intervention group with an additional 10 minutes for completing a longer survey). You will receive a $25 (CAD) gift card for completing the first two online surveys and an additional $25 (CAD) gift card for completing the third survey and interview session on your experiences (a total of $50 for completing the study). Gift cards can be provided in another currency with an equivalent amount.
There will be a compensation of up to $50 CAD for completing all study components.
This study will take place: