B.Sc. (Mashad University), M.Sc. (Shaheed Beheshti University), Ph.D (Shaheed Beheshti University), Postdoctoral Fellowship (Kyorin University School of Medicine)
Professor Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Research InterestsAxons; Myelin; Neurodegeneration; Neurophysiology; Neuroprotection; Regeneration
Dr. Javan is interested in myelin protection, myelin repair, and neurodegeneration following nerve diseases and traumatic neural injuries. Gliosis, or heightened activity of the cells that form myelin, called glia, is a frequent result of spinal cord injury and traumatic head injury, and it impedes neural repair. Dr. Javan’s research involves converting astrocytes and other glial cells located in the injured brain and spinal cord into neurons and OPCs, cells that can become oligodendrocytes. These, in turn, provide insulation to axons, which conduct electrical impulses from nerves. Dr. Javan uses transcription factors and microRNAs to generate neurons and OPCs in order to help repair damaged neural tissue.
Dr. Javan is collaborating with Dr. Wolfram Tetzlaff on a research project examining the mechanisms of demyelination-induced axon damage and the possible benefits of antioxidants in this context.
Techniques employed in the lab:
- Cell fate conversion studies
- In vivo gene delivery
- Chemical demyelination models
Affiliation with organizations and societies:
- International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)
- International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR)
- Council Member, Iranian Society of Physiology and Pharmacology
- Iranian Cell Death Society
- Iranian Neuroscience Society
- Royan Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Technology
Current Opportunities in the Lab
Please contact Dr. Javan with inquiries.
- Foolad, F, Khodagholi, F, Nabavi, SM, Javan, M. 2020. Changes in mitochondrial function in patients with neuromyelitis optica; correlations with motor and cognitive disabilities.. PLoS ONE. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0230691.
- Honarvar, F, Hojati, V, Bakhtiari, N, Vaezi, G, Javan, M. 2019. Myelin Protection by Ursolic Acid in Cuprizone-Induced Demyelination in Mice.. Iran J Pharm Res. doi: 10.22037/ijpr.2019.112181.13582.
- Gholami, M et al.. 2020. Long-term potentiation enhancing effect of epileptic insult in the CA1 area is dependent on prior-application of primed-burst stimulation.. Exp Brain Res. doi: 10.1007/s00221-020-05766-2.
- Rezaei, S et al.. 2020. Enhancing myelin repair in experimental model of multiple sclerosis using immobilized chondroitinase ABC I on porous silicon nanoparticles.. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. doi: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2019.12.258.
- Dehdar, K et al.. 2019. Allergen-induced anxiety-like behavior is associated with disruption of medial prefrontal cortex - amygdala circuit.. Sci Rep. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-55539-3.