B.Sc. (Mashad University), M.Sc. (Shaheed Beheshti University), Ph.D (Shaheed Beheshti University), Postdoctoral Fellowship (Kyorin University School of Medicine)
Professor Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Research InterestsAxons; Myelin; Neurodegeneration; Neurophysiology; Neuroprotection; Regeneration
Dr. Javan is interested in myelin protection, myelin repair, and neurodegeneration following nerve diseases and traumatic neural injuries. Gliosis, or heightened activity of the cells that form myelin, called glia, is a frequent result of spinal cord injury and traumatic head injury, and it impedes neural repair. Dr. Javan’s research involves converting astrocytes and other glial cells located in the injured brain and spinal cord into neurons and OPCs, cells that can become oligodendrocytes. These, in turn, provide insulation to axons, which conduct electrical impulses from nerves. Dr. Javan uses transcription factors and microRNAs to generate neurons and OPCs in order to help repair damaged neural tissue.
Dr. Javan is collaborating with Dr. Wolfram Tetzlaff on a research project examining the mechanisms of demyelination-induced axon damage and the possible benefits of antioxidants in this context.
Techniques employed in the lab:
- Cell fate conversion studies
- In vivo gene delivery
- Chemical demyelination models
Affiliation with organizations and societies:
- International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)
- International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR)
- Council Member, Iranian Society of Physiology and Pharmacology
- Iranian Cell Death Society
- Iranian Neuroscience Society
- Royan Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Technology
Current Opportunities in the Lab
Please contact Dr. Javan with inquiries.
- Honarvar, F, Hojati, V, Zare, L, Bakhtiari, N, Javan, M. 2022. Ursolic Acid Enhances Myelin Repair in Adult Mice Brains and Stimulates Exhausted Oligodendrocyte Progenitors to Remyelinate.. J Mol Neurosci. doi: 10.1007/s12031-022-02059-x.
- Alipour, M, Hajipour-Verdom, B, Javan, M, Abdolmaleki, P. 2022. Static and Electromagnetic Fields Differently Affect Proliferation and Cell Death Through Acid Enhancement of ROS Generation in Mesenchymal Stem Cells.. Radiat Res. doi: 10.1667/RADE-21-00037.1.
- Khani-Habibabadi, F, Zare, L, Sahraian, MA, Javan, M, Behmanesh, M. 2022. Hotair and Malat1 Long Noncoding RNAs Regulate Bdnf Expression and Oligodendrocyte Precursor Cell Differentiation.. Mol Neurobiol. doi: 10.1007/s12035-022-02844-0.
- Nemati, SH et al.. 2022. Mouse Degenerating Optic Axons Survived by Human Embryonic Stem Cell-Derived Neural Progenitor Cells.. Cell J. doi: 10.22074/cellj.2022.7873.
- Alipour, M, Hajipour-Verdom, B, Abdolmaleki, P, Javan, M. 2022. Molecular properties of Ca2+ transport through TRPV2 channel: a molecular dynamics simulations study.. J Biomol Struct Dyn. doi: 10.1080/07391102.2022.2058615.