B.A. [Kinesiology and Health Sciences] (York University), M.Sc. [Kinesiology and Health Sciences] (York University), Ph.D. [Cardiovascular Physiology/Sport Cardiology, Physical Education/Cardiology] (University of Alberta), Post-Doctoral Fellowship (Sports Medicine/Cardiology, University of British Columbia)
Co-Director, Physical Activity Line (www.physicalactivityline.com)
Co-Director, Physical Activity Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention Unit, University of British Columbia
Full Professor, School of Kinesiology, Faculty of Education, University of British Columbia
Chair, PAR-Q+ Collaboration
Chair, International Collaboration on Clinical Exercise Prescriptions
Chair, Knowledge Translation Committee, Canadian Cardiovascular Harmonization of National Guidelines Endeavour (C-CHANGE)
Research InterestsCardiovascular health; Chronic disease and disability; Clinical exercise rehabilitation; High performance physiology; Pediatric health; Rehabilitation; Sport cardiology; Sports medicine
Dr. Warburton’s research focus is on clinical exercise rehabilitation and physiology. His goal is to enhance current knowledge of the effects that physical activity, exercise, and training have on heart function, performance, and health. His work spans a wide spectrum of participants, including elite athletes, children, the elderly, and patients with a chronic disease or disability.
Dr. Warburton is the Chair of the Knowledge Translation Committee for the Canadian Cardiovascular Harmonization of National Guidelines Endeavour (C-CHANGE) and various international collaborations. He is also a Full Professor in the School of Kinesiology and Experimental Medicine (UBC), the Co-Director of the Physical Activity Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention Unit (UBC), the Co-Director of the Physical Activity Line, and a Principal Investigator at ICORD.
The research conducted by Dr. Warburton and his trainees sheds light on the cardiovascular risks associated with inactivity and the limits placed on physical performance by cardiovascular function. This knowledge can be used to improve the quality of life for many people, including those with a chronic disease or disability.
Dr. Warburton is appreciative of his collaborations within ICORD that have allowed him to “conduct innovative and pioneering work and to attract the best graduate student trainees.”
Techniques employed in the lab:
- Systematic reviews
- Applanation tonometry
- Cardiac ultrasound
- Impedance cardiography
- Mass spectrometry
- Near-infrared spectrophotometry
- Exergaming for health
Affiliation with organizations and societies:
- Alberta Heritage Medical Research Foundation (AHFMR)
- Canadian Association of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation (CACPR)
- Canadian Cardiovascular Harmonization of National Guidelines Endeavour (C-CHANGE)
Current Lab Members
|Masters Students||Ph.D. Students|
|Lauren Buschmann||Nick Held|
|Holly Wollmann||Nana Wu|
|Barb Morrison||Andrew Perrotta|
|Andrew Jeklin||Juliano Schwartz|
|2015||Amanda de Faye||CGS-M CIHR Masters Scholarship|
|2014||Alis Bonsignore||Top Masters Student, Canadian Association of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation|
|2014||Nick Held||MITACS: Accelerate Internship|
|2014||Lauren Buschmann||NSERC Industry Partnered Scholarship|
|2013||Andrew Perrotta||NSERC Industry Partnered Scholarship|
|2012||Taylor Drury||MITACS: Accelerate Internship|
|2011||Mischa Harris||Masters Award, 2011-2013 (Canadian Institutes of Health Research)|
|2011||Aaron Phillips||MITACS: Accelerate Internship|
|2010||Heather Foulds||Postgraduate Fellowship Scholarship – Doctoral Level, 2010-2013 (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada)|
|2010||Adam Ivey||Own the Podium Research Assistantship, 2010-2011|
|2009||Ben Esch||Senior Trainee Award (Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research)|
|2009||Jessica Scott||Senior Trainee Award (Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research)|
Current Opportunities in the Lab
Please contact Dr. Warburton with inquiries.
- Foulds, HJA, Bredin, SSD, Warburton, DER. 2017. Ethnic differences in the cardiac responses to aerobic exercise.. Ethn Health. doi: 10.1080/13557858.2017.1315377.
- Kim, DD et al.. 2017. Effects of Exercise on Serum Triglycerides and Symptoms of Schizophrenia.. J Clin Psychopharmacol. doi: 10.1097/JCP.0000000000000648.
- Perrotta, AS, Jeklin, A, Hives, BA, Meanwell, LE, Warburton, DER. 2017. Validity of the Elite HRV Smart Phone Application for Examining Heart Rate Variability in a Field Based Setting.. J Strength Cond Res. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000001841.
- Bonsignore, A et al.. 2017. The influence of race length on arterial compliance following an ultra-endurance marathon.. Eur J Sport Sci. doi: 10.1080/17461391.2016.1262453.
- Warburton, DE, Bredin, SS. 2016. Reflections on Physical Activity and Health: What Should We Recommend?. Can J Cardiol. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2016.01.024.