B.Sc. [Kinesiology] (Simon Fraser University), M.Sc. [Human Biodynamics] (McMaster University), Ph.D. [Kinesiology] (Simon Fraser University)
Professor, School of Kinesiology, Faculty of Education, University of British Columbia
Research InterestsCoordination; Goal-directed movement; Motor control; Perception; Perceptual-motor behaviour
Dr. Chua focuses his research on how perceptions and sensations are involved in the preparation and execution of goal-directed movement. He investigates the interaction between parallel visual pathways involved in perception and action to examine how vision is used during goal-directed action. He also does electrophysiological studies on the preparation of goal-direction movement and response selection processes. In his work on perceptual-motor compatibility, Dr. Chua looks at the impact of stimulus-response organization on human information processing and performance. Furthermore, Dr. Chua studies perceptual-motor behaviour in people with Down syndrome (DS). He also examines the role of cognitive, neuromuscular, and biomechanical constraints in movement coordination.
Dr. Chua is an Associate Member at ICORD and a Professor in the School of Kinesiology at the University of British Columbia. He completed his B.Sc. in kinesiology at Simon Fraser University. He obtained his M.Sc. in human biodynamics at McMaster University, and returned to Simon Fraser University for his Ph.D. in kinesiology.
Current Opportunities in the Lab
Please contact Dr. Chua with inquiries.
- Eschelmuller, G, Chua, R, Carpenter, MG, Inglis, JT. 2021. The acute effects of periodic and noisy tendon vibration on wrist muscle stretch responses.. Neurosci Lett. doi: 10.1016/j.neulet.2021.136279.
- Rasman, BG et al.. 2021. Learning to stand with unexpected sensorimotor delays.. Elife. doi: 10.7554/eLife.65085.
- Wijeyaratnam, DO, Chua, R, Cressman, EK. 2021. Changes in Movement Control Processes Following Visuomotor Adaptation.. J Mot Behav. doi: 10.1080/00222895.2021.1921687.
- Heirani Moghaddam, S, Chua, R, Cressman, EK. 2021. Assessing and defining explicit processes in visuomotor adaptation.. Exp Brain Res. doi: 10.1007/s00221-021-06109-5.
- Forgaard, CJ, Franks, IM, Maslovat, D, Chua, R. 2019. Influence of kinesthetic motor imagery and effector specificity on the long-latency stretch response.. J Neurophysiol. doi: 10.1152/jn.00159.2019.