B.Sc. [Physics] (Harvey Mudd College), Ph.D. [Biophysics] (Johns Hopkins University)
Professor, Department of Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology, Faculty of Science, Simon Fraser University
Associate Member, School of Engineering Science, Simon Fraser University
Founder and Chief Scientific Officer, Lungpacer Medical Inc.
Dr. Hoffer is the Founder and Chief Scientific Officer of Lungpacer Medical Inc., a SFU spin-out company that is developing a new, minimally invasive approach for pacing the diaphragm in critically ill, mechanically ventilated patients who are at risk of failing to regain independent breathing due to rapid atrophy of the diaphragm muscle.
Dr. Hoffer and/or Lungpacer have received the following awards:
|2015||Ready-to-Rocket||Listed among the 10 Ready-to-Rocket BC Life Sciences Companies|
|2012||Silver Award||World’s Best Technologies, San Diego, California|
|2012||BCTIA Technology Impact Awards||Most Promising Pre Commercial Technology|
|2012||Emerging Rocket||Listed among the 10 Emerging Rocket BC Life Sciences Companies|
|2010||Innovation and Achievement Award||Life Sciences British Columbia|
|2009||Emerging Technology Award||British Columbia Innovation Council|
|2009||3rd Prize||New Ventures BC Competition|
Current Opportunities in the Lab
Lungpacer’s full-time staff includes 10 recent graduates from SFU or UBC. Additionally, Lungpacer typically hires 3-4 Co-op student interns every semester in disciplines such as biomedical physiology and biomedical, electrical, mechanical or software engineering.
Please visit the Lungpacer website (http://lungpacer.com/careers/) or contact Dr. Hoffer with inquiries.
Dr. Andy Hoffer briefly discusses his research on prevention of ventilator-induced diaphragm atrophy.
- Reynolds, S et al.. 2017. Diaphragm Activation in Ventilated Patients Using a Novel Transvenous Phrenic Nerve Pacing Catheter.. Crit. Care Med. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000002366.
- Reynolds, SC et al.. 2017. Mitigation of Ventilator-induced Diaphragm Atrophy by Transvenous Phrenic Nerve Stimulation.. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201502-0363OC.
- Francis, CA, Hoffer, JA, Reynolds, S. 2016. Ultrasonographic Evaluation of Diaphragm Thickness During Mechanical Ventilation in Intensive Care Patients.. Am. J. Crit. Care. doi: 10.4037/ajcc2016563.
- Choi, WJ, Hoffer, JA, Robinovitch, SN. 2010. The effect of positioning on the biomechanical performance of soft shell hip protectors.. J Biomech. doi: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2009.11.023.
- Choi, WJ, Hoffer, JA, Robinovitch, SN. 2010. Effect of hip protectors, falling angle and body mass index on pressure distribution over the hip during simulated falls.. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2009.08.009.