This study will evaluate the effectiveness of a self-management intervention that features the use of the self-management app to help people with SCI attain self-selected goals and improve personal management of health. You will be asked to complete a series of questionnaires and, where applicable, two interviews over four data collection sessions. The study will involve multiple contacts and ongoing use of the mobile app.
Why should you participate in this study?
Most people with SCI develop secondary complications, and mobile applications for self-management have been shown to be effective in patients with other chronic health conditions, but have not been assessed for patients with SCI. A mobile app could be an effective means of improving self-management skills in people with SCI.
You may be able to participate in this study if you:
- are 19 years of age or over
- can speak, read, and write in English
- were discharged from an inpatient rehabilitation facility following SCI at least one year ago
- are living in a community setting
- have reliable access to the internet
- are capable of providing your own informed consent
- have not previously used a self-management app focused on SCI
Time commitment: data collection will take between 5.5 to 7.5 hours and additional app usage will take between 10 to 60 hours.
You will be compensated for participating in this study. The study will take place by phone/skype or in person at any place that is convenient for you.
For more information or to sign up to participate, please contact the study coordinator by email or phone 604-737-6491.