This page is a collection of resources on CIHR Open Operating Grant Renewal and the transition to the new Foundation and Project competition schemes. All content is the property of its authors. Agency websites and official information must always be considered authoritative. This page may be updated as new information becomes available.
NOTE: The CIHR Website is scheduled to be relaunched on Monday, June 17.
- Piloting stage: Winter 2013 – Spring 2016
- Phase-in Stage: Summer 2015 – Summer 2016
- Phase-out Stage: Spring 2015 – TBD
New Programs and Competitions: (click links for CIHR website/pdf info)
- Foundation Funding Scheme:
- $50,000 – $1.5M per year;
- established investigators may receive grants of 7 years duration, while new/early career investigators are eligible for grants of 5 years duration.
- 3 stage application process: Stage 1 based on calibre of applicant, stage 2 on quality of proposed program of research, stage 3 on the results of stage 1 & 2.
- 45% of Open funding scheme allocated to these grants;
- annual intake of 114 Foundation grants available once phase-in is complete.
- Project Funding Scheme:
- $25,000 – $750,000/year
- grant durations between 1 and 5 years
- 2-stage application: Stage 1: project concept and feasibility, stage 2: selection of applications close to the funding cut-off (“grey zone” applications)
- 55% of Open programs budget allocated to Project Scheme grants
- CIHR will support approximately 939 Project grants once phase-in is complete.
- Pilot Competitions: CIHR Fellowships
- UBC SPARC Presentation Slides on CIHR Transition (March 2013)
- Annotated CIHR timeline (by CFRI’s Dr. Dawn McArthur)
- UBC SPARC CIHR Resource Page (sample grants and other materials)
- Design for the Future: The New Open Suite of Programs and Peer Review Process
- Transition to the new Open Suite of Programs and Peer Review
The information above has been gathered from CIHR’s website and twitter feed, UBC’s SPARC website, and other Research Facilitators, by Jocelyn Tomkinson, ICORD’s Research Development Facilitator. If you have any questions or suggestions about this material, please contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org